Tuesday, June 26, 2012

From Joburg


Victim: My eyes well with tears as I imagine how I would feel if my younger brother was killed.  I am at the Hector Peiterson Memorial in Soweto reading the testimony of Hector's sister.  Hector was the first young victim of the Soweto uprising in 1976.  In front of me is a wall sized photo of Hector's body being carried by another boy, his sister walking alongside, hands spread wide next to her body, her mouth large and howling.
Offender: Another placard at the Memorial displays the words of a white police officer who tried to stop the rioting crowd of children.  They were rioting because they didn't want to be educated in Afrikaans, the language of their oppressor.  The policeman was pelted with stones, and he shouted for them to stop.  They advanced.  He threw tear gas.  They did not disperse.  He fired warning shots in the air.  To his dismay, his men began firing into the crowd.



Past: I am in Number Four, an old political and criminal prison in the heart of Joburg.  I imagine that it is 1962 and I am Mandela looking out over the city from my cell, trying to picture what it would look like as a new, free country.
Present: Today some of the old prison walls were laid down next to the prison.  They are a path that leads to the Constitutional Court, created to serve the people and protect their constitutional rights, which can be found here: http://www.info.gov.za/documents/constitution/1996/96cons2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment